Current:Home > FinanceViolent holiday weekend sees mass shootings in Michigan, Illinois and Kentucky -Prime Capital Blueprint
Violent holiday weekend sees mass shootings in Michigan, Illinois and Kentucky
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 23:27:29
CHICAGO (AP) — A shooting at a block party in Detroit left two people dead and more than a dozen wounded, capping a violent holiday weekend in the U.S. that also saw mass shootings in Kentucky and Chicago.
More than 100 people were shot in Chicago, 19 of them fatally, over the long Independence Day weekend, when there is often a spike in violence. One mass shooting Thursday in a neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side, left two women and an 8-year-old boy dead. Two other children were also critically injured.
“We cannot take our eyes off the ball,” Chicago Police Superintendent Larry Snelling said at a Monday news conference. “We cannot stop thinking about the people who have been victimized by this crime.”
City officials announced plans for an emergency resource center to open Monday evening for people struggling with trauma, while Mayor Brandon Johnson blamed the pervasive violence on years of disinvestment and poverty, particularly in the city’s Black neighborhoods. Johnson, who took office last year, said Chicago has not received enough federal resources for victims and that he recently renewed a request for help.
The four-day weekend in Chicago saw a spike in violence compared with the same time period last year when 11 people were killed and more than 60 wounded.
“We are losing a piece of the soul of Chicago,” Johnson said at the news conference. “We will not let criminal activity ruin and harm our city.”
In Detroit, two people were killed and 19 were wounded early Sunday in a shooting at an illegal block party on the city’s east side that was attended by more than 300 people, Detroit Police Chief James White said Monday during a news conference.
Nine weapons and more than 100 shell casings were found at the shooting scene, White said. Fifteen young women and six young men were shot and two of them died — a 20-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man, he said.
“You’ve got a multitude of people that are engaged in this behavior. This isn’t one suspect, one group being targeted. This is a group of people who are essentially engaged in a shootout,” White said.
Asked if Detroit has ever seen so many people injured in a single shooting, White said he wasn’t sure.
White announced Detroit’s new block party strategy, which includes the establishment of a response team that will specialize in making sure residents comply with the rules governing block parties. Police must now treat 911 calls about illegal block parties as “Priority 1” runs.
Mayor Mike Duggan said shootings occurred at six illegal block parties in Detroit over three days starting July 4, leaving 27 people wounded and three dead. He said nearly 40% of the shooting victims lived outside Detroit — some traveled as far as 50 miles (80 kilometers), lured to the parties through social media.
“This is not your neighbor’s family’s party got large. These are intentional pre-planned events looking to attract people from miles away,” Duggan said. “People are coming here carrying illegal weapons, planning to party into the wee hours of the evening believing that the neighbors and the Detroit Police Department will not the stop these lawless gatherings.”
Shootings during the holiday weekend also took place in California and Kentucky, where police say four people were killed and three others wounded in an early morning shooting during a party at a home. The shooting suspect later died after fleeing the home in Florence, Kentucky, and driving into a ditch during a police chase, authorities said. Florence is a city of about 36,000 people located about 12 miles (19 kilometers) south of Cincinnati, Ohio.
___
Callahan reported from Indianapolis.
veryGood! (431)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Jeff Bezos reportedly buys $68 million home in Miami's billionaire bunker. Tom Brady and Ivanka Trump will be his neighbors.
- DNA analysis helps identify remains of WWII veteran shot down during bombing mission
- Australia-France, England-Colombia head to Saturday's World Cup quarterfinal matchups
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- An officer was wounded and a suspect killed in gunfire in Tennessee city, police say
- Dwyane Wade shares secret of his post-NBA success on eve of Hall of Fame induction
- What is the best dog food or puppy food? These are the top four recommended by experts.
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- US appeals court dismisses motion challenging permits for natural gas pipeline
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Turkish investigative reporter Baris Pehlivan ordered to jail — by text message
- Kelsea Ballerini opens up about moving on post-divorce, finding joy, discovering herself
- The future of crypto hinges on a fight between the SEC and a former burger flipper
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Former MLB slugger José Bautista signs 1-day contract to retire with Toronto Blue Jays
- Historic Maria Lanakila Catholic Church still stands after fires in Lahaina, Maui
- 2 men have been indicted for an 8-year-old’s shooting death in Virginia last year
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Ice cream sold in 19 states is recalled due to listeria outbreak
Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone pulls out of world championships due to injury
Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone pulls out of world championships due to injury
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Denver house explodes and partially collapses, hospitalizing 1
Breakout season ahead? In Kyle Hamilton, Ravens believe they have budding star
Real Housewives Star Kyle Richards Shares the Must-Pack Travel Essentials for Your Next Trip